Central Ohio Music Therapy, LLC (COMT) was established in 2010 by Erin K. Spring, MM, MT-BC, to serve central and southeast Ohio. COMT started serving a few agencies including FairHoPe Hospice in Lancaster, Ohio and Athens Community Music School in Athens, Ohio. Ms. Spring’s skill for music therapy from her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in music therapy from Ohio University, and internship with the Cleveland Music School Settlement and Cleveland Clinic Palliative Care Unit, did not go unnoticed. Soon many more individuals and agencies identified music therapy as a much needed intervention to meet the needs of their patients and clients.
In 2012, COMT began building its team of highly skilled music therapists to meet the growing demands for music therapy services. COMT sought out and acquired a team of board certified music therapists all with training and/or education beyond the required traditional bachelor’s level. The accomplished music therapists of COMT have master’s level education and training in music therapy, neurological music therapy certification and specialized early childhood training. COMT’s music therapists specialize in a variety of populations and needs including children & adults in the disability community, at risk teens, mental illness, geriatrics and the terminally ill.
Currently COMT provides services to a variety of agencies and individuals in 8 counties: Franklin, Pickaway, Ross, Jackson, Fairfield, Perry, Hocking and Athens counties. In 2014, COMT started the first Sprouting Melodies Early Childhood Music in Ohio. This award winning early childhood music program is the only one of its kind exclusively utilizing the specialized skill of board certified music therapists. COMT demonstrates its dedication to the advancement of the field through partnering with local agencies on research and collaborating with Ohio University to offer educational and training opportunities. In 2015, COMT accepted its first music therapy intern through a university affiliation with Ohio University.
Our Vision: Quality in Every Life
Our Mission: Empowering people and communities through music.
- We believe in the power of music and its ability to elicit change in the human condition.
- We believe music therapy can promote healing and wellbeing within the mind, body and spirit.
- We believe that incorporating current research and knowledge of the brain’s processing of music will lead to the best practice.
- We believe the most beneficial outcomes can be achieved through a team-centered approach in collaboration with the client/patient, families and other professionals.
- We believe that all people have the potential to benefit from music therapy interventions, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or age.